gifts in a jar with {free} recipe/label downloads and packaging ideas

Tuesday 20 November 2012

I like using jars to package gifts and I thought that I would share with you two of my favourite recipes for jars. One recipe is for cookies and the other is for hot chocolate. Who doesn't love cookies and hot chocolate?! I also created two free digital downloads for the jar labels so that you can package your gifts in a jar like mine.










The first recipe is for M&M cookies. I layered all of the ingredients in the 4 cup jar as per the recipe directions. The label that I attached to the front of the jar with baker's twine contains the directions for making the cookie dough and baking details. 

I used some of our printed holiday tissue to decorate the top of the jar ... simply cut the tissue paper into circles, place over the jar top and secure with a ribbon. I used two layers of tissue paper on my jar. 














You will want to print these labels on white cardstock for best results.





The other recipe in a jar is for 
a peppermint hot chocolate mix. 
I made them to fit into a small 1 pint jar but if you want to make this in a larger jar just increase the recipe to fit the jar size. 

I created a label for the hot chocolate that could be inserted into the jar top to fit between the ring and top insert. 
The label has directions for how to make the hot chocolate. I printed the label on kraft cardstock but you could print it on white cardstock if you want a different look for your packaging. 
I also created the art a second way with a kraft paper look so that you could print it on white cardstock if you are unable to find kraft to print on. (We have kraft cardstock in the Creative Studio at the Toronto store only)

I tied a beautiful May Arts ribbon onto the jar lid and attached a felt acorn ornament for fun ... it's like getting two gifts in one. We have lots of beautiful felted holiday ornaments in our stores. 

If you want to give your labels an antique/vintage look like mine use distress inks on the edge of the labels after you have cut them out. I used Tim Holtz vintage photo on mine and used the blending tool to give a soft aged effect. I will be demonstrating this technique at my workshop this Thursday. 



I got excited when I realized that our 1 pint jars would fit perfectly inside this holiday gift box from our Carneeval collection. I created a fun bow for the top of the gift box from ribbons, jute, burlap and silk ribbons, Here's how I made the bow ...
I used ribbon scraps to create this bow ... if I was making a bunch of these for wedding or party favors I would purchase an assortment of ribbons and twines in different textures and widths. I cut wider ribbons in half to give some of the ribbons a vintage, worn look and used a large jingle bell for the centre. Gather all of your supplies and cut the ribbons to between 6" to 7". 

I tied jute around my gift box four times and tie a knot at the top. You will want to leave the ends of the jute long so that you can tie the ribbons to the top of the box. 

Layer your ribbon scraps in a circle like you see above. Mix up the layers so that the ribbon textures and colours are not all bunched together. 
Next I used a clear twist tie and gathered the ribbons in the middle. Place the ribbons on top of the box and use the jute to secure the ribbons to the box. Tie the jute right over the twist tie to hide the twist tie.

I squished the ribbons to make them stand up a bit and cover the top of the box. It's kind of like working hair product into your hair to give it volume!! You have to tease the ribbons a bit to get them to look right. Using baker's twine or jute, attach the jingle bell to the middle of the top few layers of ribbons. You can add a gift tag to the top by simply looping a string tied to the tag around the bell. 

I will be demonstrating these bows at the December 6th "wrap it up" workshop at our Toronto store.  

I have lots more holiday projects and packaging ideas to come ... sign up to receive my blog posts by email so that you don't miss the fun!

⋅No comments